Wirtschaftsenglisch

Englisch, Französisch...
Antworten
Nick
Mitglied
Mitglied
Hallo,

Ich würde sehr gerne eine Diskussionsrunde zum Thema Wirtschaft bzw. Wirtschaftsenglisch eröffnen, da ich oft gewisse Zusammenhänge nicht verstehe. Da die Telelehrerin nur einmal die Woche erreichbar ist (und selbst dann nicht immer) wäre es schön, wenn wir uns an dieser Stelle etwas austauschen könnten.

Gruss, Nick
Stefanie

Hallöchen 8)

Das klingt gut, aber wie wäre eine Erweiterung: die Diskussionen werden auf englisch geführt. Da haben doch gleich auch alle was davon, die Wirtschaftsenglisch für Europäische Wirtschaft brauchen (so wie ich) und damit Probleme haben (wie ich nicht). Und es gibt auch im Economist schöne Artikel und auch in der WiWo.

Wie wär's damit? Ich würde mich gerne beteiligen.

Viele Grüsse

Stefanie
Mario M. Merner
Forums-Profi
Forums-Profi

If you do not mind, I would join your nice group

Hug
- Mario - :roll:
Nick
Mitglied
Mitglied
Hi Mario and Stefanie

Maybe I didn't understand. Are you saying, Stefanie, you have problems with European economics or you don't?

Regards, Nick
Tatjana
Mitglied
Mitglied

Hi Nick, hi all!
I do (so far) not have that much problems understanding the economic background information, so I hope I can contribute to this group.
Do you have any specific questions yet?
Regards,
Tatjana
Nick
Mitglied
Mitglied
Hi Tatjana

You wrote somewhere else that you read the mothly report of the Bundesbank in English. Do they publish this report on their homepage? Do you happen to have the link?

We could, as a start, maybe talk a little bit about the organs of a corporation (AE) or limited company (BE) (Ltd), in German: Aktiengesellschaft. Very often newspapers talk about CEOs and other "important conductors" of corporate governance. It is important to understand the structure of corporate governance in America, Britain and Germany in order to translate these terms.

Sorry, I'll stop here. I've got to go to sleep now, but I'll be back the next week.

Regards, Nick
Tatjana
Mitglied
Mitglied

Hi Nick

Concerning the Bundesbank report: they do not publish it on their website. But there is a contact link on www.bundesbank.de where you can ask by e-mail for the report. They will then send it to you without any costs.

Well, the exact structures of the companies in America, Britain and Germany are something I am also sometimes marvelling about ;-). In the US they seem to have a lot of vice presidents which is not that common in Germany where it is more a “Prokurist” or maybe a “Direktor” or “–Leiter” (like “Vertriebsleiter”, “Einkaufsleiter”…etc). As for CEO I would say the German equivalent in an “Aktiengesellschaft” is “Vorstandsvorsitzender” since “AGs” often have a “Vorstand” = board of directors where one of the members must be the head.
The question you raised is, however, very interesting, since I have so far not thought about the exact structures of US and British companies in particular.

Ok, that´s it for now.
Bye

Tatjana
Nick
Mitglied
Mitglied
Hi Tatjana

I actually found direct links, both for the German and the English versions of the monthly reports. They are at http://www.bundesbank.de/vo/vo_mb.en.php and http://www.bundesbank.de/vo/vo_mb.php. Unfortunately the English translations are not up to date. But anyway, thank you for the great tip. I'll definitely read parts of these reports.

As I'm regularly studying in the central library in Zurich I have access to different economic dictionaries where often CEO is tranlated with Vorstandsvorsitzender. Yet, there is one dictionary that claims that this translation is wrong. The term given there is "Geschäftsführender Direktor".
In a corporation there are 3 main organs: Vorstand, Aufsichtrat and Hauptversammlung. Is the Vorstandsvorsitzende the supreme corporate authority? Is the "Geschäftsführende Direktor" really someone else?

Regards, Nick
Tatjana
Mitglied
Mitglied

Hi Nick

I think the correct translation of CEO largely depends on the context given.
In a German corporation the Hauptversammlung is the supreme authority since it consists of the share-owners. The Vorstand is the executive organ and usually it consists of two or more people of whom one is the Vorstandsvorsitzende, and thus the CEO. The Aufsichtsrat is also powerful since it controls what the Vorstand does.
So, for the running business the supreme authority is the Vorstand; the controlling authority is the Aufsichtsrat and for major decisions concerning strategies, choosing the Vortsands-members etc. the Hauptversammlung is the most powerful authority.
It is somewhat comparable to the German political system: the voter is like a member of the Hauptversammlung, the Bundestag / Chancellor is the Vorstand, and the Bundesrat / Opposition is the Aufsichtsrat ;-).

Do you know the exact structures of American or British corporations?

Oh, and thank you for the links!

Regards,
Tatjana
Nick
Mitglied
Mitglied
Hi Tatjana and everyone else - in case there is someone else following our communication

Please feel free to join this conversation or suggest another topic from the field of economics...

> Do you know the exact structures of American or British corporations?

I started to read a very interesting article about corporate governance from a multivolume dictionary of economics which gives some answers to this question:
In most American companies, the CEO is recognized as the pre-eminent leader of both management and the board. The position of an American CEO is accompanied by a cult of personality similar to that surrounding the president of the USA.
Among the four countries [USA, UK, Germany and Japan] there are two board models: unitary and two-tiered. US, British and Japanese boards of directors are the only boards required by law and are composed of some combination of executive (hier: hauptberuflich) and outside directors. This unitary board structure is typical of most public companies around the world with the exception of Germany and certain northern European countries. By law, German boards have two tiers, the management board (Vorstand) and the supervisiory board (Aufsichtsrat). The management board's membership and responsibilities are in many respects similar to those of US, British and Japanese executive commitees. [...] the German supervisiory board's role is basically equivalent to that of US, British and Japanese unitary boards [...]

Now I understand why this dictionary I mentioned above stated that "Vorstandsvorsitzender" is the wrong translation for CEO, the first being part of the distinctly German corporate system. A chief executive officer is a lot more powerful than his German "equivalent".

Regards,
Nick
Antworten